As the year comes to an end, this special moment in time offers everyone the chance to reflect on what has taken place over the past 12 months in order to set an intentional plan for the year to come. Our team at Feters United is relishing in this moment as 2021 is our inaugural year where we introduced our nonprofit to our Caribbean community and the world on April 20, 2021.
Feters United was born in a season known for new beginnings yet the idea was conceived many years prior. Through the life journey of our founder and CEO, Shon, he manifested this very moment in time where our community would come together to help, support and love each other through philanthropic efforts. Carnival is in our blood and so is the innate ability to give back, and this is where Feters United blends our two passions as we “Fete with a Purpose.”
So what did we accomplish with these passions? Here’s a recap of what we’ve achieved in our first year hand-in-hand with our supporters, volunteers and donors:
- Feed the Homeless: Hosted three events in Washington, D.C. in partnership with Trinbago Flava to feed more than 450 homeless people.
- Caribbean Appreciation Happy Hours: Hosted three happy hour events in partnership with Society Restaurant & Lounge in Silver Spring, M.D. to raise donation funds for disaster relief efforts. This included a Holiday Fundraiser Raffle in partnership with Lowes (Hagerstown, MD) where we gave away kitchen appliances to increase donations.
- Society Feeds Society: For the holiday season, we executed the following initiatives to give back to those in need in the Maryland and Washington, D.C. area:
- Collaborated with Friendship Technology Preparatory High where students grades 11-12 volunteered to make 175 care packages for the homeless.
- Supported CariSafe’s Community Thanksgiving Turkey Drive to feed over 300 community families.
- Partnered with local grocery stores, and Society Restaurant & Lounge to provide a Thanksgiving meal for 250 less fortunate individuals.
- Fete Finders: Through our parent company, Fete Finders, 15% of each event ticket and product sold goes towards supporting Feters United’s charity campaigns. Fete Finders is the go-to event and e-commerce platform promoting Caribbean-focused events around the world.
Through our progress this year, we’ve raised $4,425 and have immediately been able to make a difference in many people’s lives with these donation funds. However, we still have a ways to go in order to make the major impacts we’ve dreamed about all of these years. We’re on the grounds with our boots strapped in the DMV area yet as the world continues to emerge from the ongoing pandemic, we’re preparing to expand our reach to more Caribbean communities across the U.S. and to directly impact the Caribbean region in a positive way.
With this being said, we need as much service and financial support as we can receive so we can continue to grow to help more of our Caribbean community members. If you’d like to get involve, we ask your assistance with the following:
- Stay in the Know: Follow us on Instagram @FetersUnited to stay up to date on upcoming community events and initiatives. Also, sign up for our monthly newsletters to learn about upcoming volunteer opportunities, live campaigns you can donate to and our progress in fulfilling our fundraising goals.
- Spread the Word: By word of mouth and on social media, please inform your network about all that Feters United is doing. You can share this blog post and reshare our social posts to help spread awareness.
- Give Back: As mentioned before, the more tangible and financial support we receive the more people we can assist. Please donate to our general campaign or to a specific campaign. You can also sign up to become a volunteer here.
- Fete with a Purpose: An easy way to give back is to support companies and events that have philanthropic efforts built into their DNA. When you purchase an event ticket through Fete Finders, you’re automatically supporting Feters United since 15% of every ticket sold on the platform goes to Feters United efforts.
We have exciting plans for 2022 and look forward to seeing you join in our efforts to elevate our community and the world at large. Thank you for all that you currently do!